Saturday, November 10, 2012

Farm auction

It was a sunny day in late Sept. I went to have lunch at my Mom and Dad's .Dad was just returning from a morning at a neighbors farm auction. This particular neighbor was a bit of a horder or junk appreciator. So his sale was a big deal, lots of stuff tucked away in the grove where most people store things that they just can't part with or don't know what to do with. I decided to check it out with my Dad all the rows and rows of stuff.
 But when I got there I found something much more interesting ( sure a whole hay rack of tractor manuals was pretty hard to beat ). Circles of old farmers chatting with their neighbors telling stories , telling jokes; some I'm not sure I want to hear but just enjoying the festive afternoon.
It made me long for the days when people knew their neighbors and worked and helped one another.
I only recognized a handful, many names I remembered my Dad mentioning.
 It was fun to see my Dad talking and joking with his old friends . One a college roommate "he was a bit wild in college, but his wife tamed him down. He would do anything for her". Another father and son who used to finish hogs for Dad. Growing up I always thought they were brothers, but apparently the son was born when the Dad and Mom were still in high school .They got married and never had another child. I wonder why.... it makes me curious to know what the background of all these men are?What did this farm look like in it's hay day?
 I wandered the rows of house hold goods random items catching my eye. I chatted with a good friend and neighbor.  After awhile I looked through the hats and suspenders for my Dad he seemed to have farmer camoflage on. And then I spotted him in the middle of the bidding circle head down . He was bidding on something only needing to nod , the auctioneer helpers (not sure what their proper name is) knew to give out a holler.
My dad and I went away empty handed ( mom would be happy) but I still enjoyed my afternoon with dad at the Farm auction.

No comments: